05-13-2019, 05:16 AM   #32
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
For the price of a Ford Ranger or Chevy Colorado, why not get get a full size pick-up truck? Similar fuel economy, more towing and hauling capacity, more interior room, more comfort, better resale value. I hear a turbo V6 F150 is fantastic. The body is even all aluminum.
I've had 3 pickup trucks since 1987. First was a 1987 Ford Ranger STX. Great truck. It was a regular cab with a 7-foot bed. V6. Sport seats. Took it off road a lot and it did great helping rebuild my first house. Back in the late 1980's small pickup trucks were all the rage.

My second truck was a 1999 full-sized F150. Regular cab and full 8-foot bed. I used it to rebuild the house I am in now. Great for hauling flat 4x8 product, and getting a shit load of gravel up into the back yard. But I did that kind of stuff very little. And some of the larger projects, I just had all the lumber delivered at once for $25. The build quality of the late 1990's F150's sucked IMO.

I now have a mid-sized truck again. This time it's a crew cab with just a 5-foot box. I mainly keep the rear seats flat for the dogs to ride inside with me, or groceries . I mainly use this truck to haul crap to the dump and occasionally get yard supplies. I did just pick up a new casement window for the guest house I built 20 years ago (with the F150 - hauled all the lumber for it) and the window box nicely laid flat between the wheel wells. For a while I had both the F150 and my current truck at the same time, and usually took the smaller one. I have to say, between all 3 trucks, looking back, I never really liked the Full-sized F150 and have never really missed it since I got rid of it about 6 years ago. Other than easily hauling 4x8 sheet with a closed tailgate, there is no advantage to a full sized bed for the average homeowner.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0