Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Here's the question I always have, and it comes from having grown up in CO, WY, MT, and ND in the 50s: however did those RWD cars with their, compared to today, really chitty tires, make it through winters tougher than Truckee typically had and has?

IOW, how hard is it really to drive a RWD car in challenging winter conditions if the dads, grandpas, and great-grandpas did it with dramatically worse equipment? This is the question I keep coming back to.
Have you spent a winter in Truckee? Or many winters in Truckee? The Donner Party ring a bell (tongue/cheek)? The past 10 years of global weather change doesn't count...

Truckee most def has some of the worst winter conditions I have ever come across. Four feet of Sierra Cement overnight? That was the norm when I first lived there in the early 90's. The combo of a high water content and warm weather pounding the Sierras as the jet stream freight trains off the Pacific make for some incredible snow totals. And the stuff is like cement mixed with glue. Nothing like what the rest of the Country sees as far as snow goes. Yeah, the Canadians and everyone up north has some BRUTAL winter conditions. I have been through some crazy storms up north. But it is still very different than what goes on in Sierras. I have to chuckle when I see the East coast paralyzed when they get over two feet of snow.

With that said, of course a properly set up RWD car can easily be driven in the snow. I am a huge fan of studless winter tires (I have also had many sets of studded) and they very much equal the playing field when comparing to AWD or 4WD. FWD is even better in many cases mainly due to the weight distribution, etc. But I do not disagree with any of you on 2WD vs AWD and is it necessary. And in a "performance" car, clearly the lack of weight and extra rotating mass makes for a more desirable combo. So I get why folks are not interested in AWD.

The problem in Truckee is chain control exist. And sometimes 2WD with snow tires does not meet the CHP's requirements based on snow conditions. Not to mention being able to successfully navigate 2 feet of snow on the road for 25 miles. Simply for convenience, I will take the AWD/4WD over the 2WD. Putting on chains suck, they can ruin your suspension over time, and you can go maybe 30 mph (not that you should be going any faster. HAHA). We also have really crappy drivers in Cali (like you didn't know that), so yet again, AWD wins as you have to navigate roads full of drift hero's that have no clue how to drive in the snow. And the progression towards SUV's as the family hauler has only made the issue worse (false sense of security much?)...

So you see, for those of us who lived/live in Truckee/Tahoe, we simply chose to err on the side or ease with the added bonus of making it simply easier to drive in snow. Without Chain control in place, your damn right many locals would absolutely drive more 2WD vehicles.

FWIW, I learned to drive in the snow in a 1977 Volvo 240DL. My Dad insisted I learn on a 2WD before I even got close to the 4WD. I thank my Dad all the time for that.... So yeah. in the past we all got around fine in 2WD. But I am willing to bet all those old Dad's, Grandpa's and Great Grandpa's would have probably chosen a AWD/4WD vehicle vs a 2WD given the opportunity. I know mine would have....

josh

PS. No need to turn this into a 2WD vs AWD thing. I think we can all respect each others experiences. I certainly respect those of you who posted about 2WD experiences, ESPECIALLY the vert. ice racer. HAHA!
Appreciate 2
dradernh4398.50