View Single Post
      12-30-2020, 12:42 PM   #33
ScottSmith
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 N20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngl View Post
I found the best pricing in Germany, shipping is cheaper also since it's closer to me, so no need rushing to buy it before Brexit. Still have more to learn about it. Also, when referring to the price for the Accusump, I'm including the electric shutoff valve, mounting clamp, check valve and the N55 thermostat housing to delete the heat exchanger and convert to oil cooler ( not including oil cooler in that price ). I don't think it can be plumbed in otherwise on the N20, but I could be wrong.
You may have similar issues with the dry sump - I was looking at the pan trying to figure out how oil is injected back into the engine and I didn't see anything obvious. Do they assume you use an N55/S55 housing and plumb directly into that?

The N55/S55/etc thermostat housing does make installation of the accusump easier. It's *possible* you can use the port that the Z4 driver used for oil pressure, but it may not have enough flow to provide enough safety.

I didn't bother with a check valve.

Quote:
I am not yet sure how to power it on. Starting it before the engine stars ( ex. on Ignition ON ) is reported to cause a CEL and possibly limp mode because the system will read to high oil pressure.

There is always the option of turning it ON manually when racing, because there is no oil pressure loss on street driving ( legally speaking ), but I fear I will forget about turning it off. Could probably use a latching relay that turns the accusump off when ignition is off.

And my third option is to control it from the data logger and turn it on when it detects a race track is entered, turn it off when exiting to pit.

If you have suggestions here, please share.
You don't need to use the accusump as a preoiler, so if your ECU doesn't like you dumping oil before starting the car, then don't do that.

A common setup is to combine an electronic solenoid with a pressure switch. That way the solenoid only fires when oil pressure gets low enough. You can then power the whole thing only when the ignition is on, or maybe when RPM is only over 2500-3000.
Appreciate 0