View Single Post
      12-22-2020, 08:11 AM   #28
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Accusump is surely inferior to a dedicated dry sump system, no doubt. But for those who don't want that much commitment it is an option worth checking out (one I'd considered myself given all the concerns about even the big brother N55 starving during hard braking or long turns). I believe there is at least one forum member running a system, IIRC they told me they plumb theirs in fairly simply with one line/fitting. I didn't ask where they put the reservoir, but it can't be harder than fitting an oil tank. It has literally been decades since I was around a car with one, but my recollection is that you close it off just before shutdown to keep a pressurized reservoir, then open up the outlet just prior to cranking for a prelube effect. Once running the system re-pressurizes the reservoir, so you aren't ever running above-normal volumes in the pan. Back then this was via ball valves, but today it would be simple to do it electronically; you'd just need to figure out where to plumb the line into the system. To me this always seemed like the perfect solution for a sporadic but potentially fatal dip in pressures (dry sump systems are cool, but they can be a total PITA too - just spent time in line behind a guy w/ a Maserati who was getting a $650 oil change, largely to cover the multi-gallon tank full of oil he needed to replace). These used to be widely available on the used market too, if that makes international import duties easier to live with. I can't imagine they would really be as expensive as a good dry sump system, but I am not on the market right now.
Appreciate 0