View Single Post
      12-22-2020, 07:32 AM   #27
ngl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Why no love for the Accusump solution? It's not a dry sump, but cheaper and more reliable than funky baffled pans.
I'm not dismissing it, but the problem for me is finding a suitable space for it in the engine compartment, I don't want it in my cabin, the car is also daily driven and oil lines are the last thing I want to see. Also, a cabin installation is considered a fire hazard depending on the events you race at.

I don't know what the oil change procedure would be with an Accusump installed, but the biggest problem for me is the very high cost of importing it.

The price for the accusump + the alu pan with baffles is about the same as the cost of the dry sump kit I mentioned a few posts ago ( for me at least, with import taxes / transport / etc ), so currently weighing the pros and cons of each approach.

Also, accusump + baffles is a treatment not a cure to the problem, the dry sump kit would be a cure, but I don't know enough about it yet to commit to that either.

The good part is, that both the dry sump pump and the accusump can be transferred to a future car, so it is a big investment, but one that doesn't need to be repeated entirely should the car change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSmith View Post
Very cool! So they drop the balancer shafts? How smooth is the engine / how high do they rev it?

My concern is the offset crank of the N20 would make removing the balancer shafts a bigger deal than on a regular 4 cylinder. I have no data to back that up though. The balancer shaft mechanism is the biggest obstacle to building a proper sump for that motor.
I don't know, I will ask and report back. The pictures I posted are not mine, they are from an installation they did on a N20 race car.
Quaife LSD | BC Racing Coilovers | H&R ARB | F8x LCA+TS | Wiechers Strutbar | Mishimoto CAI | Mishimoto Oil Cooler | Mishimoto Oil Catch Can | Mishimoto FMIC | VRSF DP | Masata TIC | Masata CP | DV+ | Custom Kline Exhaust | GTS Style Roll Cage | Sparco Evo QRT | Brey-Krause seat mounts | Schroth Profi 2 ASM 6p | 10" Android HU| xHP Stage3 | BM3 | RaceCapture Data Logger
Appreciate 0