View Single Post
      04-20-2023, 04:24 PM   #34
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Good convo, Patton! FWIW, my thoughts ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
the average car owner absolutely does not have the materials or the experience and most importantly, the knowledge to properly wash ceramic coated vehicles
For sure!

However, with that, washing cars properly (ceramic or not) doesn't require much knowledge or training (more on why pros are different below).
Quote:
most commercial car washes like at dealerships or car wash companies have no idea what they’re doing when washing cars with the above said products.
Absolutely!
Quote:
If you wish to think light of that and feel you can do the same job he can do then you go for it.
Why do you feel learning how to do task properly is "thinking light" of it?

I mean making a good grilled hamburger requires proper tools & training and I would NEVER make light of it. A great grilled burger is delicious!

But I also believe most all people can learn to make a great grilled burger, but it does take time, tools, and intention; and that just might not be something one is willing to do.
Quote:
I personally don’t have the time to spend four hours [per week]
Yeah, sometimes the easiest way to pay for things is with money, amiright?

Washing a car is something many people just don't want to do. That said, I've yet to meet a single person with a spendy car who, when shown how easy it is to do properly, doesn't start doing it themselves, and I bet you'd be no different.
Quote:
It irritates me when people make light of other peoples professions.
You're conflating the ease of learning how to do a task properly & well with "making light" of it.

These are not the same things.

So, since we're sharing, here's what irritates me:

I've had a lot of careers: engineer, IT, financial, corp strategy consulting, startups, etc and every time I get involved in them I always run into people who tell me I can't learn what they know because it's black magic and it takes years of training and schools and etc.

And then I learn it, do it, and start training other people who previously didn't learn it because they were told it was super duper hard, and then they marvel at how fast they were able to learn it.

My point is, false knowledge barriers irritate me. Nothing any of us do for a living is necessarily hard to learn - after all, we learned it!

BUT. The difference is, some things - i.e., 'professions' using the word in the literal sense - do require licensure and large amounts of practice & training: legal, medical, accounting, engineering, piloting, etc.

Cleaning a car isn't one of those; that doesn't make it inconsequentially easy, but it's not hard either.

I can teach most anyone how to properly clean your cars in 20 minutes. That doesn't make light of auto detailing, it's just a fact; but it's also one that hides reality:
The real skill pro detailers have is learning how to wash & detail a car FAST & WELL and THAT'S where all the expensive special tools & knowledge come in.

Polishing is the same thing: any noob can paint enhance - polish - their car no problem with no risk. Cutting starts getting more tricky, and then doing all of that fast is where the skill comes in.

NET NET
Auto detailing is a trade and the real skill in most trades is learning to do the job fast without losing any quality.

DIY detailers don't need that skill, thus it's not making light of the trade, it's understanding it well enough to know the difference.

Finally a thanks for your comments & thoughts - most people would just be a dick about it

Last edited by GrussGott; 04-20-2023 at 04:33 PM..
Appreciate 2
rmedina116.50
Bogey9910.50