02-21-2016, 06:39 AM   #8
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
maybe try zip-tie it to the shock or something temporary and see what happens... seems to me like it's part of the EDC system.... wonder why the kit doesn't address it, unless it doesn't really matter as the kit would cancel any signal from it and the problem is that the kit is not installed correctly or it's defective
we tried it but you can't fix it similarly positioned relative to the shock as on stock and it might slip on the first serious impact to suspension and could break. a reliable solution would be to model a similar perch (or cut it off the stock shock) and weld it to either the shock body or the steering knuckle but that's a bit too much. I wasn't ready to mangle my car parts like that.

the kw kit is the right one, f22 in the compatibility list. kw sort of addressed the issue, albeit not in writing. we once again reviewed the pictures provided in the manual and one showed kw were using some of their shocks, can't tell the model, that did have the perches like the stock adaptive suspension.

that's why i think it's more likely than not to remain functional with kw unit installed. kw unit basically makes the car think the adaptive suspension is still there without actually switching it off.

this kind of defeats the purpose since, if true, it means you can only use that delete unit with certain kw coilovers that have that perch like the stock adaptive suspension but none of the top line coiovers like bilstein, ohlins, ast, etc.

something else. it's possible, although i don't know for sure, that variable sport steering is not just about mechanical parts such as a progressive steering rack. possibly a different algorithm is programmed in as well to make it work. once it's gone in a car that came with VSS from factory it's handling becomes a disaster on slippery surfaces. while it feels much more planted on straights and in mild turns it becomes hardly manageable in tight or sharp turns, ploughs like crazy, then when you finally catch it with steering and throttle it snaps into oversteer and you end up chasing it like that all over the road.
Appreciate 0