View Single Post
      02-20-2016, 08:46 PM   #7
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x233 View Post
Coding wouldn’t have solved my problem. If I had coded the EDC off I still wouldn’t have been able to connect those accelarating sensors to the Bilstein B8 shocks. I do not know if coding switches them off.

I am new to the BMW and still do not know exactly what that sensor does and what happens to it when you either code the EDC off or use KW EDC delete unit. Internet search produces lots of diagrams, parts numbers, purchase rerferences, etc but zero information on its function.

I know it’s only present on adaptive suspension front shocks but not on basic suspension.
I do not know if its function is only related to variable sport steering (VSS) or the EDC in general.
I’m not 100% positive but I think VSS only comes with adaptive suspension.
I do not know if VSS remains intact if the EDC is coded off.

Those sensors probably remain functional if KW EDC delete unit is used but because you can't place them on the new shocks it messes up the car's handling. I know that when a EDC delete unit is used and that sensor remains connected but is not fixed to the shock the variable sport steering is gone and the car’s handling is badly compromised.

I didn’t have the patience to try and disconnect it while the KW unit was still in place to see if the car would show any fault codes or how it would handle. It was clear I would’t be able to use Bilstein B8 so I didn’t follow through. Shame I didn’t. Now I don’t want to go through the hassle of swaping suspension and re-wiring it again to find out.
It's probably an accelerometer like the ones that come on the phone to measure g forces probably to see if the shock is compressing up/down to make the shock harder or softer

maybe try zip-tie it to the shock or something temporary and see what happens... seems to me like it's part of the EDC system.... wonder why the kit doesn't address it, unless it doesn't really matter as the kit would cancel any signal from it and the problem is that the kit is not installed correctly or it's defective
Appreciate 0