07-05-2022, 07:56 PM   #15
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Sounds good.

These days all manufacturers do a really good job protecting (probably in the way they formulate the material to make these belts) the belts against ozonlysis (caused by ozone and is what causes the belts to crack as this process destroys double bonds in rubber) so they don't crack as bad as they used to they used to (what I generally see is that the tracks or ribs is what gets most of the cracking these days). So these belts will tend to last longer than traditional belts but eventually they will degrade. Thus if you change them early enough then this isn't going to be an issue, generally from what I see if you drive your car alot then heat cycling (makes the belt hard) and mileage will be a bigger factor than cracking from ozone (which is a problem for cars that sit alot like summer cars).

But in response to your question I have no idea how each manufacture makes their belts in terms of their resilency to ozone, I do notice that belt technology have gotten really good as of late.
FWIW, it looks like ECS has switched over to the Gates belt wear tester: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-gates-pa...esweartool~ga/.

Both it and the ContiTech units are apparently for professional mechanics, as they're impossible to find online (except for the Gates unit at ECS).
Appreciate 0