View Single Post
      06-27-2022, 04:15 PM   #373
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I'm all for more options, more competition, etc. I can't say that I'll never have an EV in my household. EVs do make sense for many (especially non "car people") and they'll only get better.

I do get that they are cheaper to maintain. My biggest concerns are battery life, electronics issues, and God forbid, a motor/drivetrain replacement. Battery life degrades and with that so does acceleration over time. EVs are full of electronics and like our phones, computers, TVs, etc. will become quickly obsolete and non-supported. Much of the motor/drivetrains are not serviceable so if you have a problem, you're replacing that system as a whole. Battery and motor/drivetrain replacements are massively expensive and I don't see most people could afford something like that.

I also have a very very hard time believing that EVs will dominate anything any time soon given the huge reliance in this country on trucks and SUVs. Yes, Ford has developed the Lightning and it can tow, but it's capacity to tow to severely limited. We're likely a decade or more away from light truck being able to really tow useful distance. A heavy truck? Decades away. Not until heavy trucks can go 500 miles+ on a single charge and be charged up in 30 minutes or less would this become viable.

My hunch is that as EVs become more prevalent, it's dirty secrets and cost of ownership will be more impactful than currently seen. Most folks that own EVs are generally in the upper 10% of households in terms of income. I don't see how the majority will be able to afford EVs and their limited life cycle compared to an ICE vehicle.

Automakers are pushing for EVs not because it's better for the environment. They see them as being cheaper and easier to build, easier to control what the owner can and can't do in terms of servicing and where to service, and simply more profitable.

Lastly, government rebates on EVs won't last forever.

Last edited by XutvJet; 06-27-2022 at 04:23 PM..
Appreciate 3
chad86tsi1605.00
Cos270608.50