04-26-2018, 06:17 PM   #17
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripitz View Post
Very nice progress. Are you considering any of the 235R unique parts such as the fenders, etc.? My local dealer quoted me some actual reasonable prices on those parts (not like what I have seen for sale at one of the major vendors... .think 350% markup versus what the dealer offered me...).

I have a 228i currently in daily usage mode and am currently in the late stages of an E36 race car build. I love the 2 series platform so much I am strongly considering building a 2nd track/race car in a year or two.
I think it is definitely a possibility down the line, but I'd like to keep the exterior as close to OEM as possible, while the car is still in "like new" condition. If I did do something like that, I'd probably use the iR parts, for sure. I was going to use their rear suspension kit but for the cost, it just didn't make sense. It would require the custom KW full body rear coilover, and combined with the 4 link setup and rear LCA cost, would be over $10k to replicate, just not worth it, imo.. I get the full 4 link adjust-ability, cheap-ish replacement cost if I ever strip/bend one of them, and the ability to use the two part spring/damper setup these cars come with from the factory. I've learned when going full "soup to nuts" on a car, there are areas where $$ is better spent, and that was one of those areas, lol

I definitely see the F22's as that next "desirable" lower costing track toy. Once these things can be obtained for less than $30k (cdn) I think builds like mine will become "the norm", just like what you see with most e46/e82 owners, today. Almost every track prepped 1er I have come across has the same or similar mods done (BBK, Coilovers, full bushings, sway bars and LSD). This chassis is just a better starting point. If a stock m235i can outperform a stock 1M, we know we have a special "base" car, to build from, fender clearance being the biggest drawback from a full "M" car, and that's not the end of the world..