06-29-2016, 03:27 PM   #96
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidpaper View Post
Update:

Gearbox is going in the car today. They are only replacing the box -- no flywheel, no clutch.

Honestly, I am okay with this. I never had issues with clutch engagement/disengagement or with the flywheel. The problem was isolated to 1-2 shifts above 5000 rpm. Ive done plenty of redline shifts (on a racetrack -- I'm not crazy) from 2-3, 3-4, and 4-5, and it never had an issue. I think the problem is isolated to that synchro -- defect? Who knows. I'll be sure to watch out for any future problems.

In any event, my plan is to break the transmission in for 1,200 miles, and then do a fluid swap/drain for some redline.
This 1-2 grind issue seems to be the primary reported problem with these transmissions, currently and historically. Even Motor Trend has reported a 1-2 "crunch" with their 6MT M2 tester which has the same exact 6MT. Current gen M3/M4 owners have reported similar problems and replacements. It's not widespread, BUT there aren't many 6MTs out there. That's unfortunate.

Just curious:

1) Do you have any power modifications?
2) Do you routinely do high rpm 1-2 shifts?

My 2016 M235 6MT only has 4K miles and the shifting feels completely fine. I can't say I often wind out 1st much though or slam a 1-2 shift. Maybe once a month I'll so do it, but nailing it in 2nd and grabbing a quick 2-3 shift is pretty normal. Hitting a 1-2 shift in any manual car has always felt a bit harsh. Apparently the 1-2 syncros are a bit pissy in these trannies.
Appreciate 0