09-04-2019, 11:38 AM   #9
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praetor353 View Post
For M235i owners as it relates to i-step update and BM3 flashing-

I bought a 2016 m235i a couple months ago. I currently have i-step version F020-16-03-504 (March 2016)

From reading every thread I could find, only some brand new M cars are affected. However, under the ISTA software chart, the F2x, F3x, F80, F82, F83, F87 all take the same F020 software. The M cars that are affected have F020-19-03-5xx versions. Therefore we can deduce if you have your 2014-2016 M235i i-step updated at the dealer today you could end up not being able to flash tune BM3

I have read other flash tuners have gotten around this new round of anti-tuning protection from BMW. PTF/Bootmod3 were working on it months ago but I didn't find any concrete posts about them confirming its worked around yet. I'm going to hold off on bringing it in to the dealer for i-step update until PTF confirms they cracked it as I've decided on them for tuning
Yep, I've heard similar things. I too have i-step version F020-16-03-504 (March 2016). My M235 was reflashed to this because I had CEL issues with winter fuel back in the late 2016. No issues since.

I really thought I was going to do a flash tune (BM3 or MHD). After seeing all the driveability/boost/fueling issues people are having with Stage 2 flashes, especially BM3, and the constant revisions to the tunes plus the fact that there's a chance that BMW latest flash could lock you out of flash tuning, I went old school and bought a used Dinan Stage II piggyback and will wait to see how this all turns out regarding flash tuning.

I have no desire to change burbles, boost per gear, cold start changes, etc. plus the flash tuning process isn't overly user friendly. I'm currently running the Stage 2 in Stage 1 mode until I can install my FTP charge pipe. The Stage 1 tune teamed with my HJS Euro 6 catted downpipe and 93 octane is quite potent (for me), even in 80+ degree humid weather. The car is making more power than a stock M2 N55. I can't wait to see how my M235 drives in 60 and below degree weather. The power is really smooth and very linear. I had a Dinan Sport and it would deliver a wallop of power in the low/midrange and feel weaker up top. This setup so much tractable and light years more smooth than the Sport. It doesn't overload the tires with a huge surge of instant torque. The power is most noticeable above 3,500rpms and comes on strongly between 4,500rpms to 6,500rpms. Right where I prefer it. I've riden in cars with JB4s and the power delivery appears to focus way more on power vs smoothness and tractability. Perhaps since the Dinantronics unit is reading/modifying more sensors than the JB4 and likely has more robust/intuitive programming in the piggyback ECU, the Dinantronics setup can deliver smooth power, perhaps close to that of flash tuning.

Last edited by XutvJet; 09-04-2019 at 11:53 AM..
Appreciate 2
RMNB365.00
Poochie9104.50