View Single Post
      08-23-2019, 11:30 AM   #7
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Ehhhh, I was cutting 2.0 60fts, he was hitting 1.9 (which for every 10th, it's about 2 seconds off the ET) The Auto also was pretty consistent with his times.

But we did do multiple runs back to back - so I don't doubt there was some heat soak. In fact, one run the car stumbled...like hesitated/paused in the middle of 3rd - I hit 13.2 @ 105 on that run.
I shifted at about 6800RPM in 1st - 6500RPM 2nd and held as long as I could for 3rd.

All said and done, I think I ran 7 times. And from what I've seen here, these mods, zero prep and running a JB4/Manual, I'm in line or quicker than most.
2.0s are pretty dang good. Heat soak and poor density altitude (density altitude) conditions must have really been impacting your runs as well as the power stumble (likely a knock or overboost event; quite common with the JB4).

A stock 6MT M235 is a 13.3-13.5@106-107mph car in standard DA conditions (60 degrees, low humidity, sea level). With your mods, the car should be trapping 111-113mph pretty easily. These cars do suffer in hot/humid air and on regular 91-93 octane gas, a heat soaked N55 loses out on a good amount of power above 5000rpms. Your JB4 was probably pushing the N55 a bit too hard and causing some knock/overboost, thus the power reduction. The M235 running race fuel was far better off in conditions like that and wasn't suffering from much power reduction because the knock potential is greatly reduced running higher octane fuel.

You're also shifting a bit to early. You should be shifting at 7000rpms in all the gears. Those are the ideal calculated shift points.

This is why I gave up running my cars at the strip in hot/humid air. It's just disappointing. With prior cars I drag raced, the cars were nearly 0.5 seconds and 4-5mph slower running in 85+ humid air vs running on a 60 degree dry day. Absolutely no changes in 60' or mods too. Simply a difference in DA.

Last edited by XutvJet; 08-23-2019 at 12:39 PM..
Appreciate 0