View Single Post
      05-13-2021, 03:37 AM   #1
GSS123
Registered
Rep
Drives: Vauxhal & Merc

New member, considering a 2 Series Active Tourer

Hi everyone,

I'm nere here, as a quick intro, I'm known as "G", based in Birmingham.
Reason for joining - with Birmingham making the Clean Air Zone live in a few weeks, we're having to consider a replacement car for my dad, well our hand is going to be forced somewhat.

We have shortlisted a few contentders, with the BMW 2 Series Active Tourer being the number 1 choice for now, so really just after some honest drivers views and comments please, common problems and what to look out for.

So, we're considering a Petrol form of the 2 Series AT 1.5 engine with Auto transmission, I think they only started in 2014?

Currently my dad drives a 2010 Mercedes C-Class Diesel, but this will incur an £8 per day charge to drive through town, so we either need a Euro4+ Petrol or a Euro6+ Diesel. If im honest, I dont want him to buy a Diesel as he only does around 15 mile round trip to work with the odd weekend usage, and thats probably no more than 20 miles on a weekend, so Diesel would be clogged up in no time.

He wants economy, cheap tax, something a little higher up than the C-Class, usual mod cons so DAB, Parking Sensors, Sat Nav, not overly fussed about leather but if it is then it needs to be black, and but it must be an Auto.

I have seen some 2015-2017 1.5 Petrol models in Auto for around £10k-£12k.

The last BMW we had was way back in the early 90's and that was an E30, so really would like to know more about the 2 Series AT:

- What are these like to drive, comfort, owenerhsip, maintenance?
- Any common problems we should look out for?
- What model should we/shouldn't we consider?
- Whats the auto-box like?
- Is a 1.5 Petrol economical with it being a modern engine, well comparing against a 2.1 ltr Diesel Merc?
- What should we steer clear of?
- Are these belt driven or chain driven engine's?

Im sure many more questions will be borne out of your feedback, so please bear with me.

And much thanks in advance.

With regards,
G.
Appreciate 0