View Single Post
      05-07-2021, 01:06 PM   #63
msendit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanuKeeyes View Post
One track day with these PFC 11 pads. They were ok, but for a pad advertised as having good initial bite, I was a little disappointed. They were also unforgivably loud. I knew to expect some noise, but this is beyond anything I’m hearing out on the track or squeaking around the paddock. Could they be glazed?
Doubt this is glazing. No direct experience with the PFC11, but they look like they like their heat [1], just look at that friction coefficient climbing all the way ... (Pics look fine too, just regular pads)

I'd guess the opposite actually -- not enough heat in them. The giveaway is the noise -- race pads squeal their worst when cold -- they get abrasive cold and scrub the transfer layer on the rotor (which is what gives them their braking torque). So... press the brake pedal harder?

I'm not joking actually -- it's pretty typical to not use all your available braking, even for drivers with much more experience. A simple exercise with modern cars is to just pick a session and a big braking zone and stomp on the pedal until you get deep into the ABS zone. Next lap, stomp a little less. Lather and repeat until you get just under the ABS engagement point. If you're recording data, you can look for micro-lockups of the front inner wheel [2].

Much much less likely, but you could have a setup issue -- too aggressive pads for the tires you're running, so the brakes never get up to working temp. I only mention this because I've noticed the Hankook RS4s have a lot less braking grip than their lateral grip would suggest. But if that was the case -- you would've been locking up all over the place, with lots of smoke. And ABS. Much more likely, simply not braking hard enough to get up to temp.

[1] https://pfc.parts/motorsports/pad-co...nt-comparison/
[2] https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...70&postcount=7

Last edited by msendit; 05-07-2021 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 1