View Single Post
      05-03-2021, 02:53 AM   #54
msendit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanuKeeyes View Post
I like this idea a lot, actually! T5 touring class is likely where this car would shine, right?
There's one way to find out! It involves sending it

That weight would put you in the max 266 mm measured section width range for tires. I run a lighter car in ST5 that needs to fit 257 mm, and know that 245-size RRs on a 9" rim fit that, with little to spare. So, you can probably get away with 255-size on a 9.5".

Note, TT5 still allows some aero -- you can either claim BTM (unmodified body, basically) and get extra 0.4 P/W to play with; or do a wing below the roofline and air dam for free. Some of the heavier cars in class seem to do OK with BTM, but YMMV. Part of the reason I like the touring classes is you get to experiment with things like that and see what works for your setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanuKeeyes View Post
What’s your recommendation for safety upgrades, especially when considering TT? Would it be much different between T4 and T5?
In terms of what's required, TT is the same as HPDE -- nothing. And really, rollover protection on modern cars is pretty good. So you can technically go on without doing anything.

That said, safety is a bit of a package deal -- you can't mix and match street and racing bits. And the F22 seats are quite bad -- not only do they weigh a metric ton, but it seems like the designers' sole purpose was to disconnect your butt from what the car's doing under it.

So yeah, if you need to get rid of the seats to drive the car closer to its limits, you're looking at the typical: seats + 5/6-point harness + rollbar combo. Only piece of advice would be to ask around the NASA paddock who made their rollcage. Good fabricators tend to travel by word of mouth and their schedules fill lots of months in advance.

(Speaking of TT, shameless plug, my region is trying their hand at this youtube thing, and just did a short bit on TT.)
Appreciate 1