View Single Post
      09-29-2020, 07:09 PM   #27
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanuKeeyes View Post
Ok, I did it. The last purchase of the season. 17x8 TRMototsports C4’s with 245/40/17 square R-S4’s

Now I am DONE spending money and on to learning how to drive and having some fun! — Speaking of learning how to control the car in its various setups, what is the learning curve like switching from a street tire to something like the R-S4? Am I going to have that surprise loss of traction moment because they don’t squeal at you like road tires do? What about the fact my last 4 events will likely be on pretty cold days? Either way, I’m excited to not destroy my all seasons, especially as they’re staggered and relatively new.
Good for you!

Don't worry about that stuff. Just go out as you usually would, warming yourself and your car and tires up. Then, see what you get in the way of feedback from the tires and your unchanged suspension. Then take it from there. What I mean is: don't hurry, be sensitive to what the car is telling you, because it tells you everything you want and need to know. Principally, that comes to you through your chair and your steering wheel.

If you'll be running with an instructor next time out, share with him or her yours and your car's recent history so that they understand the changes you'll be experiencing on the track. Most will be very good at helping you adapt to anything that may come as a surprise to you.

Bottom line: expect more traction, don't worry about the tires' sound being the indicator for what's going on, and, most of all, dial it up slowly based upon how you feel the car is responding to your inputs. The latter is where a good instructor comes in especially handy – let them know what you're experiencing, and listen to their feedback.

You're going to have a great time; I wish I was back in NE to enjoy it with you!

Last edited by dradernh; 09-29-2020 at 07:16 PM..
Appreciate 2