View Single Post
      09-29-2020, 06:14 PM   #26
PeanuKeeyes
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E34 | MX5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post

1) I think that's wise. It's awfully easy to get sucked into overspending on this hobby. Plenty of drivers have lots of fun driving unmodified or very lightly-modified cars on the track.

One thing to keep in mind is that learning to adjust to a car's specific behavior, no matter the cause of that behavior, is a major part of the fun of track driving. Got a car that understeers? Good – now work on driving an understeering car well. Got a car whose brake pads are 1 mm away from the backing plates? Good – now work on driving a car using the brakes as little as possible! Seriously, while that's an exercise some of the clubs run (i.e., every driver on the track is doing it), I don't recommend it in a conventional run group.

2) Without optimizing camber and toe, I'm really not sure. R888Rs are what I would do in that circumstance, but that's because that's the minimum tire type I've run on the track. I wonder if something like the Yoko A052 might not be better, especially if you're driving to the track on the 245/40

In that regard, I have a suggestion: since I don't know any of the BMW-specific shops in CT, Jake Wile at Wile Motorsport is two hours up I-95 from you at 12 Production Rd, Walpole, MA 02081 (508) 668-8080. You'll probably get more out of an in-person conversation with Jake than you will here on the forum. You'll almost certainly learn something new. It's just a thought.

Great suggestions!

I have been going to Munich Motorsports in East Windsor, CT and they really have quite an operation going on there. Worth checking out if you’re ever in the area. — Thank you for the reference! I will hit him up sometime in the near future for sure.

Ok, I did it. The last purchase of the season. 17x8 TRMototsports C4’s with 245/40/17 square R-S4’s

Btw, there were only 8 R-S4’s left and on sale on Tirerack

Now I am DONE spending money and on to learning how to drive and having some fun! — Speaking of learning how to control the car in its various setups, what is the learning curve like switching from a street tire to something like the R-S4? Am I going to have that surprise loss of traction moment because they don’t squeal at you like road tires do? What about the fact my last 4 events will likely be on pretty cold days? Either way, I’m excited to not destroy my all seasons, especially as they’re staggered and relatively new.

Last edited by PeanuKeeyes; 09-29-2020 at 07:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
dradernh4386.50