Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TajoMan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp_solo2 View Post
To be honest there is more variables than just weight and diameter since a saw the difference when switching back to my winter tires so different, width, tread design, conpound, diameter and weight and I agree that weight is not a major one here (but I know that going down to 17 inches will cut it and will be good for performance).

I will still do some additionnal research on internet but will likely try 245/40/17 RE71-R on 17x7.5 wheels this year. To me it looks like the most optimal setup for F-Street unless I find evidences that 225 would be better on 7.5 wide wheels.
Have you tried 245 tires?
how was it? Any issues?

I am think about going 223~235 on 17" rims all around for auto X.

It looks like there is only 0.1" thread width difference between 225 and 235 for most tires, but there is big jump from 235 to 245 in thread width.

If there is no issue with 245, I may try it. Otherwise, I will go with 225.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TajoMan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp_solo2 View Post
To be honest there is more variables than just weight and diameter since a saw the difference when switching back to my winter tires so different, width, tread design, conpound, diameter and weight and I agree that weight is not a major one here (but I know that going down to 17 inches will cut it and will be good for performance).

I will still do some additionnal research on internet but will likely try 245/40/17 RE71-R on 17x7.5 wheels this year. To me it looks like the most optimal setup for F-Street unless I find evidences that 225 would be better on 7.5 wide wheels.
Have you tried 245 tires?
how was it? Any issues?

I am think about going 223~235 on 17" rims all around for auto X.

It looks like there is only 0.1" thread width difference between 225 and 235 for most tires, but there is big jump from 235 to 245 in thread width.

If there is no issue with 245, I may try it. Otherwise, I will go with 225.
No I did not test finally. I went the opposite route instead and tried the 225 all around with the assumption that the thread width was similar to the 235 and overall diameter smaller thus a better acceleration. Hard to compare from one season to the other but I beleive the 235 was faster overall but less fun on the road.

If you can afford to test the 245 and return them if they don't fit I would definately try that.
Appreciate 0