JonOhh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 330i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I believe you, it's a crappy situation and I hope it works out for you..

A little FYI, GM had released an official dealer bulletin, on the issue:

The bulletin is being issued to make dealers and customers aware of chemical damage that may be caused to exterior polycarbonate headlamp lenses. Most late model vehicles have these types of headlamp lenses. This material is used because of its temperature and high impact resistance.

A variety of chemicals can cause crazing or cracking of the headlamp lens. Headlamp lenses are very sensitive. Care should be exercised to avoid contact with all exterior headlamp lenses when treating a vehicle with any type of chemical, such as those recommended for rail dust removal. Rubbing compound, grease tar and oil removers, tire cleaners, cleaner waxes and even car wash soaps in too high a concentration may also attribute to this condition. This could result in the need to replace the entire headlamp housing.

Also, crazing or deformations of the lens may occur if a shop mat or fender cover is draped over the fender and covers a portion or all of the headlamp assembly while the DRL or headlamps are on. This action restricts the amount of heat dissipated by the headlamps.

Once a heat buildup is generated by the headlamp, a degradation of the headlamp lens begins. This degradation of the lens can be unnoticeable at first and eventually manifest as spider cracks. In more extreme cases, it will begin to melt the lens of the headlamp.

Interesting- seems like a known issue within the industry. With the cost of some of these fancy headlights we have these days, with the housing quickly exceeding $1000 in a lot of cases, you'd think some more development would be put into this, but I know nothing about plastics, so maybe they're doing the best they can. Using a few additional ounces of soap causing $2k in damage (to return to new condition anyway) is a bit eh... irritating?

I imagine most headlight lenses these days are made of similar plastic.
Appreciate 0