Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by x233 View Post
What makes the M Performance Brake Kit what it is is the following:

1) Bigger front rotors.
2) Different front calipers.
3) Different front brake pads.
4) Different front protection plates.
5) Coding to adjust the front/rear brake bias for the new components.

I retrofitted the M Performance Brake Kit, I ordered the parts and I looked at the parts before they were installed. Here is what I can say:

Most of the parts for F22 m235i/xi have different part numbers although some parts are the same size.
M Performance Brakes do not come in blue color: only yellow, red, and orange.

1) Front rotors are 370 mm as opposed to 340 mm used in M Sport brake kit.
2) Front calipers: the caliper itself appears to be of the same or very similar size to the M Sport caliper but fixation of the caliper to the steering knuckle is different and the M Sport part cannot be fitted on M Performance rotors.
3) Front brake pads appear to be of the same or very similar size but not sure about the compound.
4) this one is obvious.
5) Coding (enabling the M-Perf brake function) is necessary to make use of the new components.

Rear parts: they all have exactly the same dimensions as the M Sport brake parts. Rotors are same size but different design (slotted/dimpled). Rear pads are the same part number.

PS: The upgrade is definitely worth the money, that is if you take into account that a complete 3rd party BBK for both front and rear would certainly cost a lot more than this. For me the difference is function. I don't care that much about the looks, although M-Perf brakes do look much better.

Function-wise, it's a great improvement. I use the kit with teflon/stainless steel brake lines (and believe upgrading the lines is a must). It took me at least 500 miles to brake in to reach its full potential but now it's just right. I never have to worry about slowing or stopping the car from any speed. It is a most reassuring feeling which I just did not have with the stock brakes. I could still use a bit more initial bite (but I am being picky) and otherwise the brakes are great (for the car that doesn't track).

when you replaced the rear protection plates did you need new wheel bearings? i just found out that when you remove the rear protection plates you need to remove the wheel bearing hub which damages it and cannot be reused.
M235i - sold
Activehybrid 5 - sold
Appreciate 0