05-02-2016, 11:12 AM   #68
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by selmeralto View Post
That's a great question. It was kind of serendipity. I was initially concerned to find speakers would fit physically in the back. The JLAudios were recommended and they went in without any problem whatsoever.

They are also brighter than the Etons and, after I installed them, I liked that. The Etons are very smooth speakers with a clearly defined lower end but they are, shall we say, refined at the upper end, especially compared with the over-the-top HK tweeters. So I was glad to add the JLAudios, whose top end is a little more pronounced. The fader control helps to balance the audio spectrum. The end result is a nice, easy-to-listen-to system with lots of clarity throughout.

It also happened that the JLAudios were about $100/pair compared with about $250/pair for the Etons but I didn't choose the JLAudios for that reason.

I don't know about mounting the Etons in the back. I'm guessing they'd fit but I just don't know. But since the combination of Eton/JLAudio sounds good I personally would recommend using the JLs in the back. The savings are a bonus.
Furthermore, Kantalias (if I may; selmeralto and I had this convo before), the Etons -- or any component pair, up to a certain point -- are a waste of money as used in the 2 Series rear setup. You gain no soundstage advantage with the separate tweeter like you would in a door-mount setup, and rear speakers just aren't nearly as critical to a system as many would have you believe.

That the JL Audios are brighter may be as much of a function of how the tweeters are inherently aimed -- they reflect off of the rear glass, which would keep the soundwaves crisp acoustically -- as any difference in responsiveness. A component set would function exactly the same unless the tweeters are custom mounted in a location other than the blank cutout underneath the rear grilles. Also, because the rears are almost always dialed down in the fader control compared to the fronts, the relative response in the lower registers will naturally be more subdued (i.e., less power and SPL) compared to the higher registers; this contributes to the brighter feel of the rears.
Appreciate 0