View Single Post
      01-20-2022, 12:53 PM   #4
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

I have a pretty messy thread running on this...

short of it,

1> driving the car doesnt charge modern BMW's only coasting and ermm something else, a 4 hour run doesnt do as much as coasting for example

2> if your resting voltage is less than 12.2 volts I would say it's not holding a charge or has a parasitic load

3> if the battery is +or older than 5 years toss it

4> our cars take ages to switch off to this tes
i) bump trunk
ii) lock car
iii) wait for all lights to go off (in the car LED inidcators, the trunk should also go out) i.e. wait for the car to goto sleep
iv) put a tester on the battery, check the voltage, should be higher than 12.2 volts

PLS do yourself a favour, go out and BUY ($45) a solar ba9, battery tester, it will check battery, alternator, cranking and ripple. it will also check SOH and SOC THESE last 2 are very important

SOC = state of charge of the battery, 50%, 70% 10 % etc
SOH = State of health 100%, 50% etc

SOC is is the battery holding a charge and what is it
SOH is if the battery is healthy

Also it will give you a OHM check on the batterry high ohms means fubard plates

look my name up and look up my thread

Its horrible, but I got there in the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmsocal View Post
Just trying to decide if it's time to replace, I'm not sure when the battery was replaced (if ever) in my 2016 M235i 38k miles.

I have the Awron gauge, and when I start the car the voltage reads in the mid-high 11s briefly before coming up to 14+ where it stays for the duration of the drive. Car turns over instantly, no issues with anything electric (knocks on wood).

Just wondering if this is normal behavior or a sign that the battery is on its way out. Let me know what your experience has been.

I've already searched so don't need recommendations on replacement type or any kind of comments about the age of my battery or the weather I live in (cold in winter, yes I know). Just need to know if the findings above are normal or not. Thanks!
Appreciate 0