View Single Post
      01-15-2014, 07:02 PM   #82
GolfProGiff
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 335is

Garage List
Just something to think about when considering the 19"'s especially with the run flats. I currently have this set up on my 335is and it looks amazing. Downside is I've gone through 5 damaged tires and a full replacement, so far in just over 2 years of ownership. Apx $375 per tire gets very expensive. Keeping in mind I live in south Florida and have great roads. I'd be scared out of my mind if I were back in New Jersey or Boston. The slightest pothole could easily take out a tire and heaven forbid, get to the rim. There's not much room with the 19"s. The ride is quite a bit stiffer with the 19" as well so I feel the road much more. Good and bad, in some ways. Also, only expect 15k out of a set of tires if you drive cautiously. Big regret I didn't buy the tire warranty when I could. BUT, just had our first tire go on my wife's X1 M Sport, she has the warranty, and they wouldn't honor it because she had less than 4mm of tread left after 12,000 miles. Needless to say I was disappointed to have to shell out almost $800 total because her other back tire was low so, why not do both? I know, it's the cost of ownership... All that said, that's why I believe they chose to give the 18" on the M235i. They ditched the run flats and put a great set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports on it. As I understand that you can't change the suspension setup on the fly via "buttons" like the 228, I think the specialized setup for the M235 will be relatively stiff. Maybe they had that in mind when they chose the setup. I do like the look of 19" but there are some trade offs too. Just one owners experience with his really "cool" looking, really expensive in the end, 19"s.
Appreciate 0