View Single Post
      10-16-2018, 05:25 PM   #43
lnoble
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Any power adder will negatively affect long term engine reliability. The motor and ancillary systems weren't designed and tested for the additional power and heat. With that said, the M2 has basically the same motor and ancillary systems as the M235 plus a factory tune pushing power to wheels up around 20-30whp and 30-40wtq over the M235. So basically a JB+/Dinantronics Sport addition in overall power, but with OEM like driveability. We have seen on the dyno (and track) that the M2 can heat soak quickly in warmer 80+ degree temps and pulls boost and timing in response. That to me is indication that BMW is playing it very safe with it's factory modded N55 in the M2 to preserve long term reliability.

You can typically assume that a motor's longevity won't be dramatically impacted assuming you keep the additional power to within 20% over stock power ratings. Anything beyond that and you're likely in uncharted territory in terms of what the engineers truly tested for. On an M235, that would mean around 370whp/400wtq or essentially "Stage 2" mods (flash tune/JB4 with a downpipe).

With all that said, the M235 comes with some pretty robust hardware for stock. The 8AT is the same one used in BMWs own M235R race cars. The 6MT is the same one used in the 1M and the only difference between it and the 6MT used in the M2/M3/M4 is a stronger 1-2/2-3 syncro. The forged connecting rods and bearings are the same one used in the M2/M3/M4 and the forged crank is the same used in the M2.

If you care about long term reliability, I wound't push this motor past a tune and downpipe. The N55 short block is quite robust, but other systems will be pushed quite a bit harder (cooling, spark, injectors, fuel pumps, various gaskets). Plus, the deeper you go with power, the closer you put the DME into the danger zone as it might not be able to respond to something like super knock which could result in a spun rod bearing (this has happened on modded N55s and N54s).
I was thinking of just doing a tune and intake performance wise. And I have a 230 not m240, wish I had one though. I'm guessing as long as I keep up on the maintenance I should be fine? And what would need to be replaced sooner than if it was stock?
Appreciate 0