05-12-2017, 06:09 PM   #16
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc228 View Post
Ok, so I accidentally bought the N26 and have been patiently waiting for the aftermarket manufacturers to embrace the lesser of these two engines. (2-years and No-Joy)

Now I am back on the forums hoping someone has found a work-around.

In my head this seems like it should be a simple conversion, the block and heads are the same on both N20 and N26 engines, right? There's got to be some way to convert the engine management system of an N26 into an N20, or fool the aftermarket stage-3 upgrades so that we can all buy the same off-the-shelf N20-only parts.

What is it going to take for us to bolt these N20 parts (like DINAN's stage-3, big-turbo, etc.) onto our sad little misfit N26's?

Sorry about all the whining...
Cheers, Mac
"Sad little misfit N26s"?? Not mine. I have found a really good line of tuning products for this engine, everything you'd need for the street. Now, if I were intending to track or race the car, I would be deeply embarrassed about buying an N26 "accidentally" because its ceiling for performance modifications you'd want on the track is so much lower than the N20's. I thought about if the Dinan Big Turbo kit plus tune could be reverse-engineered for my N26 but I just don't need peak torque at well over 5,500 RPM for the street. Dinan do not even recommend this mod for street driving. I actually respect the CA emissions policy that resulted in SULEV engines like the N26; that's because I remember what trying to breathe was like in Los Angeles in the summer in the eighties. So... The N26 is no "sad little misfit", especially when it can be tuned -- legally and under warranty -- to do 0 - 60 in less time than a stock M235i and every bit as fast as an equivalently street-tuned N20.

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0