02-17-2018, 08:17 PM   #63
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
FYI, I have a 2016 228i M-Sport convertible with the N26 SULEV engine. My wife and I have driven this car on long trips (300+ miles) including up and down mountainous terrain (~5000+ ft.) with no "heat soak" issues. A larger intercooler for this engine would be a waste of money, as it won't buy you anything unless you're going to do a lot of track days, and even then it would be of marginal help.
Yes, this recommendation smacks of opportunism on the part of a less than totally honourable tuner/mechanic/service advisor. I've pushed my tuned 228 hard, but always respectfully, on some long road trips and "heat soak" could not have been more of a non-issue. Dinan's S3 for the N20 involves an intercooler paired with a big turbo and, of course, a custom-made tune but that, as you (and Dinan themselves, to their credit) point out, only really makes sense as a race tune. If Dinan offered a S2 tune (which I think usually involves an aftermarket CAI) for the N26 I'd install that in my DD but there's no hope for any such thing being developed for this SULEV power unit.

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0