View Single Post
      05-04-2016, 09:12 AM   #14
Rudy@tirerack
Rep
Drives: rudy@tirerack.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by nl328i View Post
He Keith,

Why is it that the stock 2 series xdrive comes with tires that are over 2% in difference in rolling diameter?? This is contrary to the awd golden rule of less than 1%. Do you have any insight on this? Would you recommend getting tires to reduce that variance? Couldn't this cause premature wear in the awd components?
We have noticed this trend with several AWD manufactures lately. The 2-series has a 1.4% difference between front and rear, some other manufactures have as much as 2-3%. I agree this is contrary to the AWD golden rule, although if the manufacture is sending cars out of the factory this way, we have to assume they have engineered the drivetrain and software to accommodate this variance. It is very possible the new drivetrains have increased tolerances. I have faith that the engineers at BMW know what they are doing, so I do not think this will cause any premature wear to the AWD system.
You could possibly contact BMW North America and they may have better information or maybe there is a BMW engineer on here that would like to chime in??
Appreciate 0