08-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #149
Maus
Message Board Crawler
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Sofia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Buck View Post
Confirmation of a diff in the M235i is brilliant news IMO. But, where does that leave the possible (more likely probable) M2? I'm guessing in the UK the M235i is going to start from around the £34k mark. So realistically specced at £36-38k. If rumours about an m2 costing a base £45k for a mere 40bhp premium I don't see why people are going to rush to trade their m performance models in. By the time it's released people are going to have mapped M235i's running 400+bhp. Surely it makes sense for BMW to either rethink a base price closer the 40k mark or offer around 380-400bhp.
There are plenty of ways to set the M2 apart from the M235i, even without a dedicated 4-cylinder M engine (which Scott said has been tested by BMW engineers).
The wide track, sharper steering rack and possibly CFRP body panels are all things that your average car buyer won't put on their car unless they are hardcore enthusiasts who know what they're doing.

Sure, you could get an M235i tuned to 400bhp and fit a LSD, harder suspension, better brakes, performance tires and a quad exhaust.. but unless you infinitely tinker with it, you will probably never get the same result as the BMW M engineers.

A 4-cylinder engine would keep weight and emissions (and subsequently price) down, while a 6-cylinder would provide you with a better sound and keep those BMW enthusiasts on the forums happy. Decisions, decisions...
Appreciate 0