View Single Post
      11-18-2019, 09:23 AM   #6
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
First, I'm probably wrong. But I thought proper cooling on vented disks involved ducting cooling air to the outer periphery of the disc. When the intake tubes connect to the brake shield the brake shield is molded so that the channel travels outward to the disc outer edge.

The idea is to get increased airflow across the outside circumference of the disk and that sucks the hot air inside the rotor chambers to get extruded.
The goal is to pass as much air as necessary through the disc's vanes, thereby cooling the entire disc. Using a disc with vanes oriented to allow as much air as possible to pass by while introducing sufficient air into the interior of the rotor is the way to achieve that design goal.

Sufficient air is frequently supplied by a 3" hose that forces outside air from the front of the car into the interior of the rotor. That air then flows through the rotor's vanes and exhausts quite a bit of the heat that's built-up in the rotor.

You can read and see more detail in the Internal Vane Quantity and Quality section on this page: https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...87M2f80M3f82M4
Appreciate 0