View Single Post
      11-18-2019, 12:17 AM   #2
msendit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
I did this because I’ve been experiencing very high rotor and caliper temperatures ever since I began running the car at the track. Even though there is air being ducted through the front bumper cover and into the area where the front braking components reside, little of that air is able to make its way into the center of the rotors and then out through the vanes.
Yes, it's amazing how little of that air can be actually used for cooling. With slightly wider wheels, even without steering lock, that duct exit is just blowing air directly into the tire.

Quote:
The work the shop determined would be most effective in moving at least some air into the center of the rotors was to fabricate what they called an air “scoop”.
Very interesting solution, please share the before / after temps. I'd love to see the amount of difference it makes.

Quote:
There’s insufficient room for a 3” or 2” brake duct hose, and the car’s front knuckles/carriers effectively block almost all access to the interior of the rotors.
Earlier this year, I had a prototype that brought a 2" hose to the inside side of the rotor (basically cutting the dust shield), pretty much following the tie rods and not using the bumper opening at all. Of course, with vaned rotors you want the air in the center, which is why this scoop is awesome, especially hanging from the bottom of the strut like that (is that the only attachement point?). If I ever come back to needing ducting (*), I'll probably borrow that strut attachment, thanks!

(*) for now very wide front tires (less need to brake), plus 355mm rotors seem to do the trick.
Appreciate 0