View Single Post
      11-03-2020, 06:45 PM   #1
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Videos: Summit Point Main

I recently posted a Mid-Ohio video shot from my M240i. This post has the first of a number of additional videos, all shot at other tracks from an E36 M3 race car I used to own.

If necessary, tell YouTube that you want to see these videos in HD by clicking on the Settings icon.

Due to the difference between the cars, this video and the others I've yet to post are generally quite different from any 2 Series video. This post compares the cars: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...0#post26873140.

There are three videos here, shot during a pair of COM TT events in 2012 and 2013. Each has something specific to offer. The club's TT format starts with a warm-up lap followed by three laps with the track to yourself and then a cool-down lap.

1) This video is principally for entertainment purposes. It was shot during a practice session where I was running with a pair of Corvettes that were built to the same spec.

While the Corvettes are quite different from the E36 M3, the two types of car have very similar power-to-weight ratios (seen on the main straight after T10). The cars exhibit different strengths in different sections of the track. The Corvettes excelled with torque and grip while exiting corners. The E36 excelled in the braking zones, having to be braked early when the Corvettes were close in front.

I don't know what limitations the Corvettes had; my main issue was that the dip in the pavement in T9 made my rear suspension compress fully, and I had to lift and wait in that turn. That added a number of tenths to my lap times.

2) This is three laps of the 2012 TT just after it stopped raining. It was 70°. Check out all that shiny pavement!

The video shows the varying rain lines I chose in an attempt to set FTD. I was more than two seconds back, though, although I did win the event's Most Consistent (MC) award by running laps of 1:40.510, 1:40.733, and 1:40.644.

I finished 5.4 and 6.5 seconds in front of the Corvettes, showing how much difference rain can make between cars and drivers. That would never have happened on a dry track.

The E36 had an extremely stiff suspension (e.g., 1590# main front springs), making it not a lot of fun in the rain for this driver; on a slippery track like Summit Point Main, it was like driving on a knife-edge.

3) This is Lap 3 of the 2013 COM TT, and it has data generally sufficient to see what the driver was doing. It was 55°, and the track was still a bit damp from earlier drizzle.

The line driven here is a useful place to start for a driver at Summit Point Main for the first time.

Last edited by dradernh; 11-03-2020 at 07:30 PM..
Appreciate 2
Maynard3848.00
MassNerd171.00