05-27-2016, 11:50 PM   #32
Taunto
Car Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235 X-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEBreh View Post
BMW does not mention anything about this for our cars. They only still do the 1200 mile service on the M cars (M3, M4, M5, etc). This service includes all of the oils, which is everything I've done. Coincidentally, they use to recommend that it was done on ALL BMW cars prior to their creation of their "free maintenance" program. BMW made this service mandatory/included for the 1M which has the exact same transmission that our cars do.

Oil analysis that has been performed on BMW engines before has shown that there is a decent amount of metal in the oil at 1200 miles. I imagine the same would occur for any item that has to wear in with movable components. This includes both the differential and the transmission. People such as Mike Miller, who writes the tech article portion in the BMWCCA magazine, Roundel, recommend this.

The fluid in the diff was absolutely filthy in comparison to the new stuff that went in. The old stuff was very dark.

I bought 3 Liters of LT5 fluid for my Trans, I used 2.
The diff I bought 2, used 1. You have to use a suction pump to suck the fluid out of the diff.

The 1200 mile service is done on all the M-cars but the transmission fluid is not changes. Engine oil and rear axle fluid followed by de-activation of the run-in inspection service and a road test.

It is very common to see the Oil from all the drive-line components be a nasty colour. this is due to the additives BMW places in them from factory to help parts seal properly and components to break in properly as well.
Will usually see Rear diff fluid come out Dark grey. This is from the Diff oil mixing with the Paint markings they use when building the rear diffs from factory which is completely normal.
So if you see nasty fluid coming out when you do your first service, this is completely normal.
Me personally I change my engine oil myself Every 5000km.
Appreciate 0