07-27-2015, 12:55 AM   #15
ocN55
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i 6MT/ '16 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by artinz View Post
Thanks for this post! it was actually very informative for someone like me who is starting to look at tuning. I do have a couple of questions though:

1. If I wanted to stick with no downpipe, are there any additional "worthwhile" upgrades I can make for power gains besides the Stage 1 tune, intake and (I guess) exhaust?

2. You don't recommend catted downpipe and I've read a lot of other posts with similar recommendations, however, I would like to keep my car catted, so are there any catted downpipes that have not caused any issues for the M235? I don't mind taking a bit of a hit on performance because of the a good catted downpipe.

3. Here in Canada, we have 91 and 93 octane readily available, so if I went with option "2", would I still be able to get higher boost without having to mix e85?
Thanks!

1. Not really... I'd say a chargepipe upgrade in addition to Stage 1 tune, intake, and exhaust. There have been some instances where the stock chargepipe failed under stock boost levels. And a FMIC upgrade wouldn't hurt either, but both upgrades aren't "worthwhile" imo (unless you're doing path #2).

2. Yes! The fabspeed sport cat downpipe is reported to have a 100% success rate in not triggering a CEL. It's just a little pricey but people who have them seem to like them.

3. The answer is no, you cannot hit your very high boost levels on pure 93. Race gas or e85 will be needed. But you should be able to run Map 2 with a downpipe and 93 AKI Octane, but only logs will tell (some who have 93 have seem reported to be octane deficient when trying to run high boost).