View Single Post
      05-14-2019, 11:34 AM   #53
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Went in to get 3M crystalline 70 all around.

They didn't have so went with ASWF Dimension 70 instead and saved a few bucks.

On paper performance is similar and the heat rejection doesn't demonstrably go up with the darker tints.

The goal was to have as 'non-tinted' a look as possible with heat rejection. I like the view out and like it bright/vivid and even with the 70 it darkens.

I only ended up doing the side windows leaving the windshield and rear window untinted (for now). (the sides are the windows where the sun hits the skin the most).

So far it seems to have a slight greenish cast when viewing out from inside. I would have preferred the blue cast or just neutral. As for heat rejection, the tint isn't designed to keep your car from cooking in the parking lot, (it is irrelevant for that as nothing helps) the heat comes in from the roof. It's to keep the sun off your skin and face and lets the A/C run easier during the day when you're driving. This I certainly have noticed because the fan runs lower on the auto climate control than it used to (the plastics on the dash and doors aren't cooking as fast when leaving the garage).

The only thing I find annoying is that the side windows/mirror are darker than the rear view mirror and windshield which should be uniform. Also the color tinge difference is disconcerting. It's subtle but it's there. Not sure if I'll crystalline the windsheld or go with dimension 70 on the windsheld. But it should be the same view out 360 degrees.

Seth
Appreciate 0