02-17-2019, 09:53 PM   #48
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by msej449 View Post
Can I just clarify, out of interest? Here in the UK (and I assume the rest of the EU) you order tinted as a factory option and the glass itself is dark i.e. not a film tint, but part of the glass. It's often referred to as 'security tinting' (as least in the UK) as it's great at hiding what's inside the car (excessive sunlight not really being any sort of problem here :-). We also have a factory option for a graduated tint on the front windscreen, again, not a film, but part of the glass manufacture.

I assume that state regulations vary so much that BMW just doesn't bother to offer 'integral' tinting as an option in the USA, because there'd be too many combinations?
The tint car companies use is in the glass and is just as you said, security tint. These tints don't block UV rays, have minimum heat rejection and no extra glare protection. I've used LLumar Pinnacle and Stratos. These have 99% and 99.5% UV rejection respectively. The first cost about $400 and Stratos about $650 for all the windows expect the windscreen. Always Ceramic as the less expensive metal ones can block some signals like cell or car signals. Ray Bans don't protect your leather seats or your skin. Just saying.