11-22-2019, 11:24 AM   #100
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
So, if this is the same path we can expect for the B58, I have the following questions.

The Special Note does not seem to jibe with the no required parts under the $1800 tune .

Am I to assume that the Stage 1 (91-93 octane) will lose power when the engine warms?

I always run 93 octane Top Tier fuel in my car, but in the event of an emergency where I have to put some 87 into the car to get home, what damage can occur if one drives the car sensibly? CEL's, Limp mode?

On the Dinan Website:

I already own a DINANTRONICS Elite kit for the S55 engine, can I switch to the flash?
Yes, you can trade in your existing DINANTRONICS kit and qualify for a warrantied tune (balance of the factory matching 4yr/50 k warranty) upgrade for only $149.95. If you are already out of warranty or simply want more power you can opt to switch to the full Stage 1 options (no factory matching warranty) without any associated upgrade fee. Pricing listed is dependent on trade-in of registered, first-hand units. Used, second-hand units do not qualify.

The above indicates (if it apples to the B58) that whether you have .v1 or a .v2 and want to maintain factory warranty, everyone pays $150. If you are out of warranty or wish to not have the warranty coverage the conversion is free.

I also understand from reading that at any time the ECU can be re-flashed by the dealership back to "stock" for whatever fee they charge.

My overall takeaway of the above flash options if the same holds true for the B58, is mixed. Especially for those that bought the .v1 and had to go to the .v2 due to CEL's. Paying $149 to keep coverage is fine for the .v2 buyer but for the .v1 buyers that had to exchange for the .v2 costing $200 less, it's not such a good deal.

Not sure what others think or what I may have misunderstood.
There are a lot of assumptions in this which is very dangerous. Especially on a forum where speculation and conspiracy theories run rampant. =) Let's just first note that while the S55 program is probably a good starting point for what to expect for future flash releases it is not the end all, be all since all engines/platforms will be different and have different capabilities/thresholds.

To attempt to clarify your questions though.

1.) The special note of no hard parts required on the $1800 tune is still factual. You are lumping 2 different tunes into one in that statement. Dinan + requires no additional hard parts. Dinan +HE requires the heat exchanger. They are the same price but Dinan + has a lower power output as we found that above that power output the car de-rates itself in order to protect itself. When the Heat Exchanger is included that problem goes away and you can get more power. That said if you get the Dinan+ tune and in the future wish to get more power you can upgrade to the +HE (with heat exchanger) or the Stage 1 at no charge from Dinan (dealer labor charges would still apply). Chances are this requirement will not be needed on the B58 so there will be only 1 Dinan + (warrantied) file vs. the 2 on the S55.

2.) Am I to assume that the Stage 1 (91-93 octane) will lose power when the engine warms? If their is no heat exchanger present on Stage 1 (regardless of octane) than after repeated hard pulls or long spirited driving there is definitely the possibility of the engine de-rating itself as a self preservation tactic and thus reducing power. Again, this is an S55 specific trait and will most liekyl not be applicable to the B58.

3.) If you put lower quality gasoline in the car then 91/93 the car just will produce less power. No other side effects would occur unless you were running and race gas or E85 octane mapping and then put 87 in there. Then you have different issues.

4.) Pricing I won't comment on as I have stated before it has not been discussed for the B58 platform. Applying arguments to unknown variables is a disservice to everyone as it just muddies the waters and creates more speculation.
Appreciate 1
Two4me25.50