View Single Post
      11-22-2019, 08:14 AM   #98
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

So I went to the Dinan Website to look at he S55 tunes. There are two/three flash tunes shown. After reading the info on them, I came away with this understanding.

The $1800 Flash Tune

"+ Callibrated to work exclusively with pump gas (91 and 93 octane).
+ No required parts, install on a stock car and receive the full power gains"

There is an "HE" option for the same price that must include the separate purchase of a new heat exchanger $730.

"Dinan+ users can upgrade to the Dinan +HE variant at no charge for more power while retaining the Dinan factory matching warranty provided a Heat Exchanger is purchased and installed as well. For those that want even more power you can opt to switch to the full Stage 1 tunes, taking advantage of more aggressive mapping geared for race fuels, at no additional cost. Switching to these mappings however will immediately cease any factory matching warranty obligation. For all of these scenarios, labor and/or install dealer fees still apply. "

The $900 flash tune comes with octane maps. At the time of the flash, you choose the Octane you will use in the car

"We recommend loading the octane mapping that is most commonly used for the vehicle (91, 93 or E85 most likely) and only do a map change for special occurences such as a track day."

"if you wish to use a different octane then what is initially loaded it would require a trip to your authorized Dinan dealer for a reflash. Labor / install charges to perform this service would be at the discretion of the dealer."

Special Note: Dinan Heat Exchanger (D780-0001A) or equivalent is recommended when running ANY of the stage 1 maps. Without the heat exchanger installed the vehicle will tend to heat soak / derate under any meaningful load. Advertised gains as a result will not be able to be achieved.

So, if this is the same path we can expect for the B58, I have the following questions.

The Special Note does not seem to jibe with the no required parts under the $1800 tune .

Am I to assume that the Stage 1 (91-93 octane) will lose power when the engine warms?

I always run 93 octane Top Tier fuel in my car, but in the event of an emergency where I have to put some 87 into the car to get home, what damage can occur if one drives the car sensibly? CEL's, Limp mode?

On the Dinan Website:

I already own a DINANTRONICS Elite kit for the S55 engine, can I switch to the flash?
Yes, you can trade in your existing DINANTRONICS kit and qualify for a warrantied tune (balance of the factory matching 4yr/50 k warranty) upgrade for only $149.95. If you are already out of warranty or simply want more power you can opt to switch to the full Stage 1 options (no factory matching warranty) without any associated upgrade fee. Pricing listed is dependent on trade-in of registered, first-hand units. Used, second-hand units do not qualify.

The above indicates (if it apples to the B58) that whether you have .v1 or a .v2 and want to maintain factory warranty, everyone pays $150. If you are out of warranty or wish to not have the warranty coverage the conversion is free.

I also understand from reading that at any time the ECU can be re-flashed by the dealership back to "stock" for whatever fee they charge.

My overall takeaway of the above flash options if the same holds true for the B58, is mixed. Especially for those that bought the .v1 and had to go to the .v2 due to CEL's. Paying $149 to keep coverage is fine for the .v2 buyer but for the .v1 buyers that had to exchange for the .v2 costing $200 less, it's not such a good deal.

Not sure what others think or what I may have misunderstood.
Appreciate 2