View Single Post
      03-26-2016, 11:41 AM   #9
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

The JL Audios went in very easily.

Yes, the HK unit is component. The car feeds a signal into a connector on the mid-range which has a crossover that feeds the tweeter by way of a second connector. I removed both connectors and just left the (disconnected) tweeter in place. I then connected the car's signal wires into the JL Audio. Worked like a charm. No problem with clearance.

Regarding the electrical connections I used a set of speaker wires that have a BMW compatible connector that I ordered on eBay. That way I didn't have to splice the car's wires. That's one option. But if you want to just splice into the wires that'd be easy, too: the speakers come with slide-on speaker connectors that can be crimped onto the speaker wires.

You don't need a physical adapter. The JL has 4 mounting holes. Two of them fit exactly over 2 of the 3 mounting holes in the car. You just bend and remove the two you aren't using and use the existing BMW screws to anchor the speaker. I tried the speakers with just those two mounting holes secured and the speakers sounded just fine. I went ahead and used a washer and the 3rd screw to anchor the last mount anyway, as insurance. I also installed narrow window weatherstripping foam under the mounting bracket to make sure the speaker installation is nice and tight. You shouldn't over-tighten the screws, though. You don't want to bend the metal frame.

The grille just pops out and you can make the change entirely from the top. It's really very fast.

I was really surprised at the huge difference in mid and lower bass response. And of course I knew from replacing the front speakers how truly terrible the HK tweeters are so it was great to get rid of them in the back. I highly recommend making the switch, especially since the change is so easy and cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog26372 View Post
Was installing the rear speakers a drop in easy solution or did you need adapters or anything to make them fit? Also, in the HK system aren't the back speakers component and if so did you plug the tweeter hole with something since you went coaxial?

Thanks

Last edited by selmeralto; 06-28-2016 at 06:51 AM..
Appreciate 0