Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack123 View Post
Lmao. You do realize that stock M cars are NOT designed to win Motorsports races correct? Those M cars are highly modified (e.g. roll bars, removal of seats etc) for competition. So I think it's you that needs to educate himself. How many people you know that compete professionally with their stock M cars? I'll wait.
You are completely oblivious if you do not understand that M cars were derived from Motorsport. That's literally what the damn M stands for.

The only reason the stock M cars exist is due to Motorsport, and M's main goal was to win races, however in order to do that there are numerous regulations set in place. In order for the racing variants to be eligible for competition and have a chance at winning at all, a certain number of roadgoing (stock) vehicles are required to be produced and sold as available to the public based on the racing variant. The stock M cars were derived from the racing cars.

For example, the BMW M1 fell under Group 4 homologation regulations, requiring a set of 400+ production models (based on the race car) to be built before the racing variant could compete.

Straight from the source themselves:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M
Right from the start, the M1 was an ambitious project as it was the first vehicle designed by BMW Motorsport GmbH. Originally, the plan was to use the race car in the German Racing Championship. Due to its long and complicated development time and a change to regulations, the BMW M1 finally appeared in the specially-created Procar series and other competitions. A total of 460 BMW M1s were developed based on homologation specifications according to Group 4 regulations for the road and race track. Each model was handmade.
It doesn't matter how many people ended up tracking the cars or not, the history of M literally started with Motorsport.
Buddy, I'm fully aware that the M division originated in Motorsports. The reality though is that it is YOU who are oblivious. Let me put it real simple for you to understand - if the BMW M division was 100% faithful to their heritage, there would be no consumer M cars at all. Therefore ANY street, non-motorsport compliant M car is a violation of the original BMW M division intent. The fact they made a limited 400 models is irrelevant as that doesn't constitute mass consumer production. THEREFORE, going back to the original argument made, the X1M cannot violate the original heritage, because said heritage was altered the moment the division put out an M street car model. So all these M models you guys wax poetic about are technically an abomination in the eyes of "true" M purists who (if they are upholding then original intent) would advocate that no consumer M cars should ever have been made. Get it now?
Appreciate 0