View Single Post
      09-14-2021, 04:38 PM   #6
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
The B58 engine is deliberately designed to keep as much heat in for as long as possible after shut off to speed warmup after re-start. The "engine encapsulation" system which incorporates the cover and splash shield insulation is designed to retain heat up to 36 hours after shut off.

If the engine temp is within normal operating range when shut off (can be checked using the hidden menu), it doesn't make sense to try to make it cool down faster in any normal use scenario, other than avoiding heat soak of the intake between runs at the track, then you want to just open the hood and not take the engine cover off.

The cooling system during operation should keep the engine at optimum temperature, both too hot and too cold are problems.
IIRC, one of Mike Miller's bugaboos has been the plastic used in BMW cooling systems. This going back for a number of generations. I suspect he's been recommending a hood pop when parking the car to relieve those components from extended periods of high temperatures.

At the same time, I don't doubt that BMW, along with other manufacturers, are taking advantage of improvements in materials science as they relate to the plastics available for use in high-heat environments. BMW would certainly cut it close, though, if that saved even a small amount; perhaps that has something to do with the M235i/N55 charge pipe failures.
Appreciate 1