09-14-2021, 03:48 PM   #113
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw View Post
If it is a 'proper' M model I'd be interested to see what M do with it being a transverse FWD-based platform as I think this will be a first if I'm not mistaken.

Having driven an early FWD (a 2 series people carrier) model they do feel quite different to traditional RWD and it put me off ever going for a FWD model. Since then the 128ti has been getting glowing reviews.

Whilst I understand the tradition, I don't quite understand the level of complaints about diversification of M, it's not as if the core M models (M2, 3, 5 or 8) are changing platform. We've probably got another 8-10 years of ICE and I doubt BMW will make the next M5 FWD for example…
Many here are relieved to read it's only an M performance and not a real M.

On the other hand I also reckon that several AWD/front biased platforms (~60% of the weight upfront) score very well during the vehicle dynamics tests lately. I presume that's mainly because recently (much) more of the torque is fed earlier to the rear-axle (Golf R/A AMG/RS3) with smarter torque vectoring, whilst previous gens only could dispatch some torque to the rear when the front axles started to go berserk (cfr. haldex)?

Last edited by KoenG; 09-14-2021 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 0