dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesjedi View Post
Thanks for the reply

Vorshlag recommended 2.25 in the front

I'm not sure that 2.25 is enough for 255 tires?
As best I understand it (and I'm no expert in these matters), the issue in the front is that how wide a tire will fit is dependent upon a number of factors.

I've relied upon qualified performance shops to help me with this. Because I went to TC Kline Racing to have one of their coilover kits installed, because they know BMWs intimately, and because they knew I'd take my car to the track, when they told me a 255 performance tire of the Extreme Performance Summer or Hoosier R7 class would fit, that's the size I chose.

Helping a tire of that type and size to fit in front after the car was lowered 1¼" was that TCK's coilovers leave slightly more room in the wheel well for the tire than some other coilovers, the -2.6° camber, and a minor and unnoticeable pull of the front fenders.

All this is to say that your circumstance is specific to the parts you've chosen for your car, and that it may well be that -2.25° is all that's available to you and Vorshlag knows this. Did you ask them why that's the amount of negative front camber they recommended?

As for whether it's "enough", I don't know. My opinion is that it's certainly in the ballpark of where you want to be if you're going to run your car hard at the track. I don't think the tire's width has much to do with the degree of negative front camber that's ideal for your use case. You'd likely want the same value for a 235 tire as for a 255 tire.
Appreciate 0