08-01-2023, 04:02 PM   #15
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzie View Post
Thank you all for the comments. The wife wants a new car but I do not think she is going to like the bigger size of the 4 series. The 230 is already starting to show some issues like previous BMWs at 80K miles, now with gas tank evap leak errors and check engine light.
This is a daily driver so trying to get something newer is her goal and a warranty. She does not have the bug yet but I sense it is coming.
We have been quoted MSRP but the cars move quick, sometimes before they arrive at the dealership. The trade-in for a 6 year old car seems low but BW said 80K miles is high for the year ??
My take is that the used car market (not all but some areas) has plummeted in terms of car values over the last few months. Specific to used 2 series cars it seems like inventories are starting to build up, new inventory is recovering to meet demand, interest rates are still high, but the best rates are for new cars. Seems like more of the demand for purchasing is aimed at new cars. I tried selling my 2019 M240i this spring/summer. A year ago I could have easily gotten $40K+ plus for it. Over the last few months the best offer I got was $33K which wasn't enough to part with the car. And now I am seeing similar mileage M2's with asking prices around $40 to $43K. Why pay me $35K plus when you get an M2 for $40K?

All that said people trying to sell of trade in a car are going to be pissed getting a low ball offer on their used car. Meanwhile new car prices are not coming down. That is exactly why I kept my car and didn't get the new M2. If I were to be moving away from my car I would try to maximize the value by selling it privately then picking up a slightly newer used car with low miles to avoid the new car price and depreciation cliff. Sorry for the rant but I can relate to the pain.