View Single Post
      03-15-2019, 11:51 PM   #4
230iZTR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Signal Orange wrapped 230i THP

I just had Vorshlag plates, Spec-R Springs, and M-Perf bump stops installed today (no LCA/TS's) and will be getting the adaptive dampers reprogrammed with Dinan Shockware next week. Its not coilovers, but it seems like it should relatively cheaply fix the 2 biggest problems I had autoX-ing last season - excessive outer tire wear, and a floaty/bouncy soft feeling I think comes from being overdamped/undersprung.

It feels really good to drive. I'd hesitate to use the word transformational because the stock car is pretty competent, so I'll just go with 'vast improvement'. Its set at 2.4*F/1.5*R for camber in a street/track compromise alignment. Turn in is very crisp, the spring/damper stiffness seems better matched, and it looks phenomenal with the mild drop. I'm really excited about how its going to feel once I'm back on the Super Sports this spring, and am salivating at the thought of AutoX on Direzza Z-III's and wider rims.

The only downside is that the suspension is really loud now. I'm getting a loud groaning noise out of the front left suspension when turning the wheel either direction, especially at low speeds. No clanks or bangs though, so I doubt its the coils binding or slipping like has been reported elsewhere in camber plate threads. The shop said it's probably just the lubricant needing time to fully work its way around the bearing while its still pretty cold outside, and to bring the car back in for more lubrication if its still loud on Monday. I'm hoping it quiets down...I expected a slight increase in harshness and noise from the quiet/luxury ride the car came with - race car parts on a street car, right? - but this is kinda nuts. Has anyone had a similar experience or got advice there? Am I overreacting?

If it stays this cringey, I might just put off my wheels/tires/diff plan and go for KW Clubsports with integrated plates instead.

Are other coilover setups - KW DDC's, Ohlins R&T's, AST's, etc - this loud with third party camber plates as well?

Last edited by 230iZTR; 03-16-2019 at 12:21 AM..
Appreciate 0