10-11-2018, 01:35 PM   #2
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smchuck View Post
Bunch of questions.

I have a 230i xdrive with 7.5jx17 ET43 OEM wheels with the nasty runflats.

I'm thinking of getting a second set of wheels and tires for the summer. I do a couple of track days each summer. I'm thinking of the TSW Bathurst Gloss Gun metal Rotary Forced wheels with the PSS tires.

Here's the questions:

1. Thoughts on the quality of the TSW wheels? I saw some negative reviews but maybe all wheels get a handful of bad reviews.The price sure looks lower than most other wheels and I like the look.

2. Any problem with switching back and forth between 17 inch wheels in winter and 18 in summer? doesn't seem like a problem. Eventually when the runflats wear out I'll ditch them for something else.

3. The 240i standard wheel size looks like 7.5jx18 ET45 but the TSW wheel is 18x8.5 with 35 offset. Both run 225/40/18 tires. So, it looks like the TSW rim is wider but either rim width is fine for 225 tire. Why does BMW use a 7.5 width rim and TSW use 8.5? Does it make any difference?

Thanks for the help.
1. TSW is a middle of the road affordable wheel. They are good for the price.

2. No problem swapping back and forth as long as your overall diameter of the tires/wheel set up remains close the same. I'm assuming you're on 225/45/17 or something like that? If so, with a larger diameter wheel you'll need lower profile tires so a 225/40/18 would be equivalent to your 17" set up.

3. At an ET35 on a 8.5" wheel you're going to have to get wider tires for sure so you might be protruding past the fender. I'm on 18x8 ET40 on 245/35/18 and I'm basically flush to the fender.

Also, your model has the 7.5" wheels squared. All of the M235/40i and 28i/30i M-Sport models use a staggered set-up with 7.5" front and 8" rear. Having wider tires, especially in the rear makes, a difference because you can actually deliver the power to the ground.
Appreciate 0