Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Super Job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Ho View Post
Attachment 1471838

Installed today, decided to go with the wired approach for my HDMI solution. Here's a pic of me testing with my Amazon Firestick until I get my Apple AV cable.

Interesting things I noted during my install:

- Configt's videos here http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1086290 were a huge help, if you need hand-holding like I did. They are for the Bimmer Tech AV Box, but the basic install is about 90% the same.
- I opted for a cheap reverse camera ($15) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 on Amazon, and honestly it looks as good as all the rear view cameras I've used. Maybe I'm missing out, but it works flawlessly.
- I was able to install the rear camera without removing any of the panels in the trunk, except for the lid (see Configt's video above)
- The AV Box comes with instructions in Korean, but are easy to find in English on their website if you punch in the model number.
- Similar setups require the use of an infrared remote control. I absolutely love love love how this interfaces directly with the iDrive controller, thus requiring one less thing to mess around with!
- Total cost for me: $300 (AV box w/shipping overseas) + $15 (rear camera) + $8 (posi-taps wire taps) = $323. Not bad, considering how much more similar setups run at Bimmer Tech and the like, plus the install is about the same (minus the ease of the plug & play harness).

Took me about 4.5 hours, but I'm sure it can be done much quicker. Thanks for the tips and being a pioneer by testing out this AV box fancyfl1ght; your posts were exteremely helpful!
Good call on the camera. Cheaper the better. Looks like HDMI is working for you. I am thinking you are testing with the Amazon Firestick but you are still connected to your home wifi? If so, I am going to try to do the same with my Roku to make sure something isn't fishy with my AV box.

At least I know if the HDMI is working then the Samsung Allshare was indeed the problem and I can get an Asus 5G miracast.

Thanks for the tip.
Alpine White BMW 228i (Stripper Special with Lighting Package as the ONLY option), HD-LINK IW06B-N23 Backup Camera & HDMI Input, Technic ASD Removal Harness (Wire Nut Mod), Technic Hifi Harness, Focal FDP 6.900, Hertz Energy ECX 100.5.
Appreciate 0