BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Please note that an 'open back headphone' may 'disturb' others within near vicinity.

Headphones featuring closed back are more discreet (music, telephone conversations, etc.).
Should have put the "may" in quotes. The output from the open-back design is minimal, at best. I've had the previous HD598 and 598SE for over a decade and they are my favorites out of a dozen headphones I've owned. Those include an over-the-ear Bowers&Wilkins pair that cost far more than the Sennheisers.

But I started out with over-the-ears since I was a kid—and still own my first pair of Superex ST-PRO-BV. Before buying the Sennheisers I had the advantage of a local Crutchfield store where I could try dozens of pairs of headphones in their store at their listening stations. Cans from over $1000 from several manufacturers and nothing above the Sennheisers in price impressed me more than the HD598. I had previously owned closed-back Senns for monitoring but shipped those to my daughter once I got the HD598. Honestly I only bought the HD598-SE because I never warmed to the cream-color HD598 with the "Maserati TC" inspired wood trim . And the cord and connectors on the SE offer more versatility. I'll assume the 599s are similar.

Try them first, if you can. But Sennheiser is a good and safe choice. I never understood Grados. The Senns are so light and comfortable you can forget they're on your head.

I've owned headphones longer than I've owned BMWs—and I bought my first BMW before there was a BMW Motorsport.
Appreciate 1
Lady Jane70880.50