View Single Post
      02-21-2023, 08:04 PM   #12
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

"Best over-ear headphones 2023: wired and wireless over-ears for every budget - The 20 best over-ear headphones for portable and home use" (Feb 2023):
https://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/h...ear-headphones

"The best over-ear headphones you can buy" (Feb 2023):
https://www.zdnet.com/article/best-over-ear-headphones/

Recently, upon recommendation by a family member, I got my daughter a pair of Sony WH-1000XM5. Released in 2022.

She loves those. Likely one of the best 'Active Noise Cancellation' headphones currently available. Also practical for traveling by plane and train: you're in your own aural comfort zone - most outside noise is digitally filtered away. Increasingly spotting over-ear headphones in shopping streets.

I am aware that you noted 'not wireless', but you could change your mind fairly quickly once you start exploring. And a detachable audio cable is included to plug into the 3.5mm audio jack (hence, you can always choose wireless / not wireless).

Only recurring point of criticism that you may read in reviews: ear cans "cannot" be folded 90° when resting those around the neck when you take those off - but those reviewers (likely parroting what they read elsewhere) apparently don't realize that all it takes is to simply turn the headphones the other way around if you want to rest those around the neck with 90° folding instead of inclined.

Review: here ("Sony's WH-1000XM5 headphones are basically perfect" (Oct 2022))

If you're more into Apple: Apple AirPods Max (beware: wireless only - no 3.5mm audio jack):

Review: here ("AirPods Max review: Stunning sound and performance mean I'm keeping the $550 headphones" (Dec 2020))

Comparison by an audio engineer:

Trivia: automatic English translation of a press article about a Belgian university hospital smartly using 'Active Noise Cancellation' headphones for privacy reasons when visiting hospital patients: here (Feb 2023) and here (Aug 2022).